Application & Eligibility
To be an Emerald Eagle Scholar, you must:
- Enroll as a freshman the same year you graduate from high school.
- Have a family adjusted gross income of $40,000 or less.
- Be a Texas resident.
- Be eligible to receive a Federal Pell Grant through UNT.
No special application is necessary. Your eligibility for the Emerald Eagle Scholar program is based on the information you provide when you apply to UNT. You should:
- Apply with the Texas Common Application on the ApplyTexas website and submit a completed application and application fee by March 1.
- Submit transcripts and SAT or ACT scores to the UNT Office of Admissions by March 1. Visit UNT Undergraduate Admission Requirements for more information.
- Complete the Free Applications for Federal Student Aid on the FAFSA website by March 15. Use UNT’s FAFSA code: 003594.
A selection notification packet from UNT will be sent to students selected for the program via U.S. Mail and will include a Program Agreement. Students who choose to participate in the program should sign and return the Agreement to UNT within 2 weeks of receiving it, thereby confirming their acceptance of the award.
The purpose of the Emerald Eagle Scholars program is to help students with high financial need to enroll at UNT in order to complete a bachelor’s degree in 4 years with little or no student loan debt. In order to fulfill the program’s academic purpose to support timely graduation, Emerald Eagle Scholars must earn no less than a 2.5 GPA and 15 semester credits each fall and spring term to remain eligible for the program grant.